Monday, September 13, 2010

Food Stamp Challenge Day Two

Greetings.

I survived today quite nicely.

You may recall my menu plan for the day was grilled chicken burritos. I prepared them as follows:

I took 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed, combined it with 2 cups of chopped grilled onion, peppers, and corn on the cob (kernels removed), and 2 cups of chopped grilled chicken.

I added 1/2 my can of chicken broth and reserved the rest for another use later in the week.

I warmed up the mixture on the stove top and heated my flour tortillas in a dry skillet.


I added one quarter cup filling to each tortilla along with one of the 20 equal portions of cream cheese (I was shooting for 20 burritos).

Lunch and dinner for today and tomorrow - 16 burritos!

I was surprised how well the cream cheese worked in the burritos. With all the grilled peppers they had quite a bit of heat - something I would normally tone down with sour cream. The cream cheese worked great and had the same effect. I ended up eating 4 for lunch  and my wife had a few as well. We will make them last through tomorrow.

Though I was disappointed I did not get the full 20 I had hoped for, the upside is I have 4 flour tortillas and 4 portions of cream cheese left. They will make for great snacks - warmed tortillas for breakfast and fresh jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, maybe even a grilled chicken club on wheat with cream cheese with fresh tomatoes.

These recipes are Chico tested and approved. (Chico is my sou chef).




No comments:

Post a Comment