Saturday, September 11, 2010

Food Stamp Challenge

Greetings.

I am Stan Miller, executive director for North County Community Services which operates North County's Food Bank. For the next seven days (September 12-18th), I will be taking the food stamp challenge - using $34 (the average food stamp allotment for an individual in California) to purchase all food and drink I consume for the week. I will be using items from my patio garden to supplement my food supply, but will not accept food or drink from any other sources this week.

I was asked to take the challenge by John Lucero Criswell, the executive director for the San Diego Hunger Coalition. Two others will be joining us in chronicling their experiences during the week as well - Jennifer Gilmore, executive director for Feeding America San Diego and Scody Hage, executive director for San Diego Food Bank.

I will be using this blog to let you know what I purchased and eat, how I prepare it, what challenges I encounter, and to share insights into the world of food insecurity with you. I look forward to the challenge and sharing what I learn with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment